Wednesday, March 16, 2011

On the subject of inconsistency....me and my yoga practice

Of late, my world ,the world we live in feels so ungrounded. I seem to feel this way every spring as the churning and rebirth of living things abound in spring.This year, with even more reason, I am fretful,with forceful tsunamis,earthquakes, extreme bravery of fellow human beings,sometimes at the cost of human life  for  the sake of human rights,freedom from tyranny etc.On the bottom of this heap of turmoil ,my inconsequential world of yoga. I say inconsequential,but yoga gives me grounding,supports me through all sorts of turbulence in my daily trivial strivings. For months now, the usual place that I practice yoga with a good group of people,seems to be coming apart at the seams literally ,with fellow students moving on in different directions,leaving me sometimes practicing solo with a dedicated teacher.I recently was on a mini retreat of ashtanga yoga, mysore style with two wise,thoughtful,compassionate and seasoned teachers. The community of individuals I practiced with seemed  grounded and present in their practice. After a week of immersion of this feeling calm,groundedness,I come home and feel that nothing is stable,that all is in a constant state of flux.After a long period of feeling semi complacent in my practice,all feels like I am riding a stormy sea with crashing waves. I think,I have deluded myself in believing that somehow my practice of yoga would shield me from the natural phenomena of life's inevitable unpredictability, that somehow yoga would teach me greater secrets about being resilient,perhaps unflappable even..If anything of late, I am humbled, that my practice is only a mirror image of my human state of being and is only as stable and sustaining as I am. It is as impermanent,fleeting,and at times as undependable as I am....more lessons in humility.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Desiderata