Friday, June 3, 2011

I never liked the color red,Things a mother should never say to her daughter

Red is not my favorite color
I have told you this many times
Yet you buy me red clothes and make me wear red
as well as itchy stiff, poofy , crinolines, in the wet humid muggy heat of summer
You say you know me better, even than I know myself
Do you seriously mean what you just said?


Hot ,fury,lava ,burning ,consuming rage
Evaporating the substance of my marrow, my entrails,
You try to enter my bones, my blood vessels,the electric current
that pulses between my synapses
That make me, uniquely, me, other, different, differentiated, separate
Oceans, away, apart from you.

You , in your human mask , your mother human seeming attire,You
point your finger at the oil painting hanging on the wall,
Touch the young girl child of me with your pointed painted glistening
finger nail,
I, playing in the bucolic,the care free grassy field
Suddenly, evaporate,disappear
bucolic scene,Now
sans girl child
Forever.

Do you remember what you said
This morning,cell phone to cell phone
I said,do you know what you just said
You ,said
Let's not talk about it!
Can't we just move on, you say again.

How can I move on, to what , to where, when the heavy
dark cloud of your words hover ,hang,stagnate
In the face of your intrusions, your persistent efforts to engulf, consume
fix, rearrange,readjust, force your way in,suck my bone,my blood
I can not erase what you said this time.
You have tried to tear asunder,torch away, that which is sacred to me ,that which you can never obliterate
That which is the remnants of me and the only life that I live.

I run
Run for my life.
Run with my life.



The prompt for this poem is a scene from the movie,"the Witches"based on the book by Roald Dahl.Angelica Houston plays the leader Witch, she is dressed in disguise as a human woman.She walks past a painting of a little girl playing in a grassy field.She wipes her long witch nail along the girl child playing in the field disappears forever.I have been haunted by this scene for many a moon now.The conversation cell phone to cell phone really did occur today. I remembered this scene so well today after that conversation.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Desiderata