Sunday, October 31, 2010

Yoga .....control on the mat and into my life

There are many days in my life that I am grateful that the art,discipline presence of yoga has entered my life or shall I say that I have been learning how to accept the presence of yoga into my life and value its presence. Today is such a day. Often on a "good" yoga day I use words like ease,smooth,light,gliding,one of less effort. Today none of those words really describe a quality of "goodness" or "rightness" that came with this morning's practice. Of late, in my interpersonal sphere I have been feeling that experiences,feelings,words sometimes come at me with a randomness that seem out of my control, that I would not invite into my space if it truly were under my control. It is my choice, and under my control, how I respond to the various fluctuations and perturbations that stir me up.
Today ,as I got on my mat, I was feeling somewhat unhinged that so much of what is said to me ,expressed to me or enacted with me is far beyond my control as I do not have any control over the words feelings and actions of others. As I began my practice and began engaging my bhandas and the whispering flow of breath following and my body began deliberately moving in the sequence of asanas in the standing series came back to me as usual ,I had this profound sense of relief, an "aha" moment, that this mat is my sanctuary,this is probably the only place and time that I feel I am most master of my choices, that I do make choices that are under my conscious control in regards to the quality of my breath,the length of my breath, the rhythm and flow of my movements, where I choose to gaze how I choose to stretch or contact my muscles to move my joints.It is a foremost aspiration of mine that through this awareness of making deliberate choices and the visceral memory that my choices imprint upon me, that I will use these skills in the work and exhilaration of living every day....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Desiderata