Sunday, April 10, 2011

Gnostics on Trial
by Linda Gregg

Let us make the test. Say God wants you
to be unhappy. That there is no good.
That there are horrors in store for us
if we do manage to move toward Him.
Say you keep Art in its place, not too high.
And that everything, even eternity, is measurable.
Look at the photographs of the dead,
both natural (one by one) and unnatural
in masses. All tangled. You know about that.
And can put Beauty in its place. Not too high,
and passing. Make love our search for unhappiness,
which is His plan to help us.
Disregard that afternoon breeze from the Aegean
on a body almost asleep in the shuttered room.
Ignore melons, and talking with friends.
Try to keep from rejoicing. Try
to keep from happiness. Just try.
"Gnostics on Trial" by Linda Gregg, from Too Bright To See and Alma. © Graywolf Press, 2001.
This again from "the Writer's Almanac"
The poet reminds me of what I think about much of time these days, how foolish and wasteful of me to disregard , ignore the smallest, most nuanced pleasures,beauty goodness that is always in my reach if I choose but to see and reach out to what may be in front if me, with me, right now......


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Desiderata