Sunday, August 29, 2010

More Reflections from Hanuman's words at Shasta


When Hanuman was asked about the meaning/purpose of life,these are some of the things that I remember he said to us at Shasta;
-I will continue to do what I always do
-Don't freak out(when the world is upside down in headstand or in life)
-There will be a meteorite shower tonight,you can see it if you look up at the sky
-Did you see the meteorite shower
-The goal is for you to become your own guru
-I am standing behind you right now(again when upside down)
-In answer to an earnest student who asked ,can I have your permission to be your student,"Yes"
-A nonverbal gesture to me,to remember to remove my shoes in a sacred place
-Thank you for jumping into the cold water with me
-This is my "friend",Fred"
-A guru will not always be here for you,you need to become your own guru
-Focus on your bhandas to still the mind ,reduce fear
-"One ,not two"
-I learned generosity and compassion from my guru

As in the Bhagavad Gita ,in a dialog of a few , but well chosen words , much is said with less, leaving much room for reflection.What I remember as I think about these words is something about basic integral values of living a good life.I need to remember that I am on my path in life,that somehow I chose it or it chose me,but there is no turning back and I must fulfill my destiny, my duties , my roles, I need to remain focused on one essential thing at a time ,to try to do best, that there is great honor and dignity in effort,to always esteem friendship and cherish my friends,to give pause to the sacred spaces at my feet,to remain calm in the face of tribulation,to promote and teach self reliance,to use self knowledge for the purpose of making the live's others better, otherwise it is an exercise of self indulgence and delusion, to look up at the sky or into space or out into our world to find the awe inspiring that is always there as Tim asked,"did you see the meteorite shower".One can only see if one chooses to look both inside ourselves and out into the world.I personally will remember ,"I will do what I always do".I understood this to imply that sometimes we find ourselves on an odyssey that at times may be against the grain, but it is something that we have become skillful at by practice and life wisdom.We should not waver or doubt in the truths that we know in our heart as they are hard-earned and have bee polished,chiseled,purified to their essence.We can not waver in self doubt on those values that emanate from our heart.
And Hanuman's words lead me back to the Bhagavad Gita as Krishna speaks words of encouragement to a Arjuna at a time that he is overcome with self doubt;
These words from the Bhagavad Gita;
Thou hast power only to act not over the result thereof. Act thou therefore without prospect of the result and without succcumbing to inaction
(
The translation follows thus

Karmani ave adhikars te
--you have the power to act only
ma phalesu kadachana
--you do not have the power to influence the result
ma karmaphal hetur bhoo
--therefore you must act without the anticipation of the result
ma sangostu akramani
--without succumbing to inaction
)”

“Sever the ignorant doubt in your heart with the sword of self-knowledge. Observe your discipline. Arise.”





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Desiderata