Sunday, September 12, 2010

My grandmother Sally's love for me....continues on

from Poem A Day this morning

The New Colossus
by Emma Lazarus

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
This morning after a long , reflective and soothing practice,I was sitting in my car with a warm, radiant sunrays flooding over my space.I was in my post yoga , not quite here yet space and was taking a few extra moments of self reflection before driving on. I was feeling kind of vulnerable and teary eyed, which is common after an intense yoga practice with lots of second series back bends. I opened my email on my iphone to "Poem A Day" I began reading the familiar words of the poet Emma Lazarus that my beloved grandmother Sally, who was also a poet ,would recite to me quite dramatically throughout my childhood. I read the poem and felt the words indelibly posted in my mind, i could see Sally reciting to me with all her heart and soul as if she was giving me a mantra to always carry with me.I felt her presence, her gifts ,her love for me as if she had never passed and was sitting there like always, with tears in her eyes, but with great pride and bravery , she would recite,"Give me your tired.your poor. your hurdled masses yearning to breathe free,The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these , the homeless,tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door".
Sometimes I wonder how I have end up on the path as healer, as doctor. Sometime it feels so hard, that I want to turn back give up, I wonder how I got here, I wonder what will give me courage, strength, sustenance to continue to do my best . Today, in these rare auspicious moments I felt the source, the seeds that led me to this path, that continue to guide me, to nourish me , to love me. I am so so lucky to have had a grandmother that recited to me poetry every day of my life as a child and exemplified the courage, wisdom, and grace to begin to learn the path of a healer, the path to become a person, Today, my dear Sally, I miss you more than ever and feel so lucky that you were are part of who i am. Today , I wanted to share the part of me that you have given me.....

1 comment:

  1. So touching Emma. Sally would be so proud!! Not only are you an accomplished healer but a creative spirit that you have inherited from her.

    ReplyDelete

Desiderata