Saturday, September 4, 2010

This fall...a soft veil of.....Mercy



The Merchant of Venice, Act IV, Scene I [The quality of mercy is not strained]
by William Shakespeare

The quality of mercy is not strained;
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath. It is twice blest;
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes:
'T is mightiest in the mightiest; it becomes
The throned monarch better than his crown:
His sceptre shows the force of temporal power,
The attribute to awe and majesty,
Wherein doth sit the dread and fear of kings;
But mercy is above this sceptred sway;
It is enthronèd in the hearts of kings,
It is an attribute to God himself;
And earthly power doth then show likest God's
When mercy seasons justice. Therefore, Jew,
Though justice be thy plea, consider this,
That, in the course of justice, none of us
Should see salvation: we do pray for mercy;
And that same prayer doth teach us all to render
The deeds of mercy. I have spoke thus much
To mitigate the justice of thy plea;
Which if thou follow, this strict court of Venice
Must needs give sentence 'gainst the merchant there.

I post this today as I am a tad melancholic today,have been all week. This happens every beginning of autumn, a sadness sets in, the days are for sure shorter, the air is cooler, crisper, the leaves are beginning to lose their green color, there are some dried golden leaves that blow in the wind. It is the season of the Jewish New Year , a time of self reflection ,penitence, forgiveness and ultimately hope ,growth and change. I am easily attached to the the radiance, the abundance, the softness of summer, that I feel. It is always hard for me to let go of things,people,seasons that I love. I think this season of fall after recently having some time for self reflection at Shasta, I know there are things ,qualities about me that it is time to let go of and open myself up to the new that life has to offer and to welcome change,even though it can rattle me up at first.
So,at times like this, I call upon "mercy". I think of Shakespeare's words," The quality of mercy is not strained,It droppeth as gentle rain from heaven,Upon the place beneath."In the autumn there is often a chilling rain, may the rains of this fall season gently fall upon us all in its soft veil of mercy....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Desiderata