Saturday, April 24, 2010

Ashtanga yoga can make me smile sometimes


Today the last day of mysore with Lino Miele this time around in Chitown.I have heard from others that in addition to masterful skills in teaching ashtanga yoga,he has a well developed wry sense of humor,maybe even somewhat the trickster.I was towards the end of my practice on my back on my mat,about to go up into a backbend.Lino appeared,he said,get up ,jump thru.I was certain he was going to have me repeat a pose or two,as all week it seemed like I was repeating poses in new ways,experimenting with subtle nuances of entering,exiting and being in poses,a subtle ,but powerful metaphor of our life cycle.So,I waited for more instruction.He then said ,on your back,left leg,and then miraculously through sign language and his warm smile,I got it.oh ,I said in my mind and we both chuckled.He was giving me a new pose,just before I was starting my backbends.the instruction was more through his facilal expressiveness and smile.
There is always intrigue,excitement ,joy in the gift of a new pose,but this new pose seemed to be more to me about the gift of shared sweet laughter between teacher and student disguised in the physical mask of a new pose.
I will remember this gift so fondly...thank you ,lino for sharing this playful,joyous way of being.ashtsnga yoga can be fun,joyful and even exuberant sometimes.....


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. I understand now--this is sweet. Congrats on moving forward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you, yaara for above comment

    ReplyDelete

Desiderata