Monday, June 28, 2010

Remembering the first sound on my birthday



It was my birthday recently, I was born on a very hot day on a very hot summer afternoon to a very young mom who tried her very best to raise me ,to love me and be there when a child most needs the care of a mom. I have been lucky. My mom would literally give me her eyeballs and remain blind, if she thought I needed them,We however are mom and daughter, we are not made of the same cloth ,although I was crafted in her cloth. She is firey and very direct, sometimes extremely loquacious. She is often surprised at my more elusive sometimes subterranean paths that she can not comprehend, try as she does. I at times am annoyed, over-stimulated by her, need space from her which I know hurts her. On my birthday we saw a movie together which tells the story of the complex enduring ties between mothers and daughters that transcend the present moment in time and permeate through many generations . There was a line in the movie that a blind adolescent girl says to her new found friend, a pregnant woman who never had the chance to experience a relationship with any mother, really, and now she is about to become a mother, herself. The young girl puts her hand on the woman's belly and tries to remember the days she lived inside her mother's womb. She asks the woman, do you remember those days when the only sound we could hear was the heart -beat of our mother's heart. I sat in the dark dampness of the movie theater room, almost as dark and wet as the space in a birthing womb, as tears rolled down my cheek trying to recall that first, that only sound of my own mother's heart, the sound that preceded any other sound. I imagine I did not have the knowledge that any other sound could exist. And now ,these past few days as I listen to music, I close my eyes and still remember that very first sound that is with me always and always will be. I sometimes feel there is nothing more evocative than listening very carefully and intently for the heart beat of another in my presence. Perhaps that is why we are all so drawn to music as it reminds of the very first sound that we could ever hear.Sometimes it takes getting older year by year to remember the things we should not forget....

1 comment:

  1. Emma--this is so lovely--one of your most powerful pieces yet! Your imagery is evocative and true and it is direct and lyrical. I love your description of the "dark dampness" of the movie theater and the womb :)

    ReplyDelete

Desiderata