Thursday, June 24, 2010

A Theme on Summer's Benevolence to Ones's Soul

Edith Wharton (books by this author) wrote about a day trip with Henry James to Bodiam Castle, near Lamb House: "Tranquil white clouds hung above it in a windless sky, and the silence and solitude were complete as we sat looking across at the crumbling towers, and at their reflection in a moat starred with water-lilies, and danced over by great blue dragonflies. For a long time no one spoke; then James turned to me and said solemnly: 'Summer afternoon — summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language.'"
This again from the Writer's Almanac
Yes , Summer afternoon, I add Summer dawns, dusk,twilights, mid days, all days of summer, I think if there is a G-d , it is his/her way of giving us a brief reprieve, an antidote of sorts to the complexities of our human sufferings. At the beginning of this summer , a friend passed on. It is said that time heals all wounds, I am not sure about that one always. But in any case, I would like to at least dedicate this summer to really appreciate the kindnesses of this summer, and at least attend to the abundant richness in my journeys,and try to abandon my whiny complaints of all that is beyond my control anyways. For me,at least to try to remember the simple elegance,radiance and amazement of a "summer afternoon". I thank you ,Mr. Henry James.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Desiderata