Friday, June 18, 2010

Stretching beyond our safe boundaries


This morning when I was practicing yoga at Yogaview, I once again was reminded of the loss of our dear friend, Katy. I was actually practicing in the same corner spot I saw her practice in about 2 weeks ago when Tim Miller one of her and my favorite teachers was in town. As I stretched into my first down dog of the morning, I was reminded of Tim gently pulling back on my heels as a coaxing to remind me that I can be and stretch vaster that I am ,that I can take on a little more challenge and explore a new space beyond my current boundaries. It may seem insignificant, but every centimeter one takes a risk beyond their current comfort zone is an opportunity for exploration, to resist stagnation, find new solutions to old patterns.Yes, I was sad, a little tearful as I paused to see her in my mind dropping back into some awe inspiring backbends. I remembered a faint smile on her face,a look of defiance, of exploring new boundaries.
On that day, I felt Tim gently nudge me out of my old patterns, my attachments, letting go of familiar anticipations. I remembered Katy as she let herself gracefully and triumphantly fall into gravity. Katy led a triumphant life , her ebullient joy was contagious. I wish I could have gently stroked her heels and reassured she could stretch some more, that we would all be there to catch her, but those are only fanciful wishes. There is no solution for this one. I felt Katy's energy as I dropped back into my backbends today, somehow her spirit present selflessly to encourage me. Katy, I hope you dwell in peace and we can send you some comforting energy to keep you well cared for and well loved on the journeys we can not know.

1 comment:

  1. kate was one of my favorite people in the world.

    can you please update the link for my new blog?
    its at bindifry.blogspot.com

    thx & i will add you as soon as you fix that.

    ReplyDelete

Desiderata