Saturday, July 17, 2010

Forgiveness amongst Fathers and Daughters

This post is one that has evolved over a life time for me. What I have to say has been hard earned and has required constant internal re-examination and refinement. This aura of forgiveness comes at the trailing edge of a week of exercises in mindfulness in the care of compassionate teachers and friends at Upaya Zen Center in Santa Fe. I have always been fascinated by the relationship that evolves between father and daughter over a life time. I have special fondness for men that I encounter that take the time to hang around, be present, attend to and love their daughters only in a way one's father can. My father will celebrate his birthday next month. I think of my father daily and of lately have been thinking or rather hearing in my head the words that could make all the difference in a daughter's life. I am certain ,that if my father could say such words to me, he would. Today, I was listening to one of my favorite programs on npr called "Resound"from the "third coast audio festival". This one is a reflection of a father's inner most feelings as he lovingly watches his daughter emerge from infancy to a young teen. I know that my father probably had or has such feelings for this daughter, they are just buried too deep from conscious awareness to be spoken. Here is the clip that I am so glad to have heard today. It has helped me to imagine that my own father could speak such words. I felt something like.....Forgiveness.....

This is the audio clip ,"Scared" by John Biewen, please click on link to hear these heart felt word of a father to his daughter

Scared, by John Biewen from Third Coast Festival on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Desiderata