Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Mirror, mirror on my car, who is the fairest near and far......

A couple of weeks ago before I embarked on my "zen journey",an only mildly unusual event, that is in retrospect occurred.I was driving my usual route on a quiet early Saturday morning,a van was parked , just jutting out enough grazing my passenger window. I was bopping a little to some Afro cubano music in my car-and out of no where my passenger mirror popped out, took flight to the firmament.At the time,crazy as it seems, I laughed, was amused, thought of the event as cosmic almost.During that week I had heard a very similar story from a new friend.Here is where the mind plays devious tricks.In retelling the mirror story to a new friend with a similar recent experience, my mind went into this zone of shared connectedness, relatedness.It was the experience of sharing a little bit of a startle and surprise in a reciprocal , mutual ,warm connection that made me laugh and distracted me from the actual fright that I nearly collided with a parked car and am hear to tell the story.
As I write this now, I sit waiting for my mirror to be fixed.I am not in the same mind-emotion sphere of mutual connectedness ,possible elation that sometimes obscures the pain of the reality,the cost of an experience.I am now sitting here,no longer amused,no longer in a shared experience with a friend.All of that is now a vague memory,I am not sure what amused me anymore without the context of reciprocally shared emotion .Now in reality,I am angry waiting to fix a broken car mirror.I am annoyed that I am paying money for this stupid mirror.I tell this story as a metaphor as to recall how emotion shared between human beings obscures reality a lot.Our connections to each other can protect us from fear, difficult feelings like sadness,regret,danger guilt.Sometimes our connections to each other bring us real joy that is obscured by nothing because the joy is real.Those moments seem rare to me that happiness is real and not an illusion.I cherish such moments because of their purity and integrity. Those memories never fade and take me by surprise when it does happen....


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Desiderata