Friday, February 26, 2010

The Birth of ........a new pose

birth in water
It is about a week now that I have been given "dwi pada",my newest pose in the intermediate series. I am reminded how this process of  ashtanga with the introduction of a one pose at a time to a practitioner is reminiscent to me of the birhting process, each pose a newborn child to get to know. I reminded of meeting my daughter  in real time and space as opposed  to "in my dreams". I am remembering the newness and ectasy of seeing each new finger, toe,eyelash,lips,tongue,earlobe,  everything,the new sounds of a steady beating heart, whispy breathing,gurggles in the belly. It was as if  this was the very first time I really ever met a human being.There was joy,honor, gratitude, reverance, gladness.When I meet a new pose, I feel that I am getting to know myself almost for the first time again. It is refreshing to contemplate how new and old positions, movements, breathing meld together into a new configuration. It is almost as if all of the preceding poses, movements and processes were a gestational preaparation for this new process to occur  with a new pose. Like the paricipating and watching of  one's child develop, so too the pose requires patience, love , compassion, continued  interest, acceptance as to how it evolves, what it becomes in time,and what new developments ensue from this ongoing process,So for me,ashtanga yoga reminds me each time I get on my mat and practice
of renewed ,gestation, birth, maturation and change...

2 comments:

  1. What a hopeful post for renewal and change!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of our life's activities can be about renewal, change,gratitude if we are open ,receptive and aware of the gift of each moment of being alive.

    ReplyDelete

Desiderata