Wednesday, February 17, 2010

New Pose-Dwi Pada Sirsana

dwi pada sirsana 
In the ashtanga yoga system the asanas are learned in  a specific order in the context of a series of asanas. After learning, practicing, assimilating a pose, you are then given the next pose in the series to learn and integrate into your practice. Some poses come quickly and others require much patience. There is an interplay, a pas de deux, between student and teacher as to when  it is ripe to accept, to receive the unfolding of a new pose. It is not easy to predict when this readiness for the new occurs. There are some who get frustrated with this process and experience an impingement on their freedom to explore on their own terms. I feel , for me, that there is a subtler form of liberation that is dependent on my readiness , but also in "being known" by a teacher that mirrors my exploration and helps me to inquire more deeply within myself.When I receive a new pose, it is not only about mastering the physical aspects of the asana. I need to learn to configure this new action, this new way of being into all aspects of what preceded this new pose and all that may come after it. I ask myself where have I been on the journey to get here,and what has transpired on the way here, and what is "here","now"  and how does this moment, this "me" connect with the past, present and future variations of me that evolve yet remain constant. I have to consider how to move into the pose, how to move out of it, what are the rudimentary elements of breathing in this new space, within myself. In some ways it is akin to exploring a new planet in the galaxy. There is vast opportunity for self exploration, for me to learn something different about myself. It is a sort of rebirth. Today was such a day. My teacher , Bill suggested I try dwi pada sirsana(2 legs behind head) as I have been  stuck in eka pada(one leg behind head) for two years now. As of late, things have shifted a little.Eka pada has become more of a companion than a foe. It is a metaphor for me of how a struggle can become supple, as it does not really matter how many or if any legs I can place behind my head.I celebrate the moments of growth . I am in gratitude to all of my teachers, friends, acquaintances who  influence and guide me to greater understandings and explorations.It is uncanny that as I begin to feel the subtle rumblings of  vernal equinox moving close upon us that Spring has alighted on my mat, into my practice, to me...I wish all of you who venture upon my blog to begin to feel the light liberation of springtime that is in reach...It is not a prerequisite for spring or growth or change to occur for us to put any legs behind any where, but spring is about our awakening, our ability to challenge ourselves  and explore with as much supple curiousity as we are able.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Desiderata