Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Road Not Taken and the" Breaking of the Vessels"

I think spring is on its way. I say this because each passing year, I seem to become more sensitive to the subtle shiftings of the tide, the gravitational pull of the earth as it imperceptibly rotates on its axis. I seem to feel  this sensation earlier and earlier each year. I can tell because the heavy slumber of deep winter seems to lighten, my sleep is lighter,softer. I used to begin to experience these sensations with the approach of the ides of March,but now it comes upon me in the fallow  grey February dawns.I begin  to notice it in the world around me,a slight swelling in the bare branches almost as if they are about to emerge with buds, it is a slight beginning of ripeness quietly emerging.
  this year, these stirrings remind me of a time before I became an adolescent, sitting on a summer's balmy moist river bank talking with a friend quietly dreaming outloud in the safety of friendship, musing on our future as grownups..She ,my friend, I remember, with lofty , dreamy aspirations of childhood, unemcumbered with adult like worries. I said to her ,sitting at the bank of this gently rippling river, that I was not sure what the future had in store for me,that "life was not a bowl of cherries". My friend seemed dismayed, confused, unnerved. She told me not to say things like that. But, I already way to wise for my young eleven years. I had this unknowing sense that there would be possibilities, chances, forks in the road that I would not be able to take , to try, not because of fear as I am  courageous  at heart. It had more to do with dharma, resposibility, the care of others weaker and more helpless than I. Sometimes some roads become obscured to us for those reasons, i already knew this and had experienced this in childhood. I am reminded that are roads that have been obscured to me in the past, now vast, open and fresh at my fingertips for me to venture out and explore. Times are different now, I am different- these rumblingsof emerging spring are signs of hope. I am reminded of the kaballistic notion of "Shvirat hakelim";"theBreaking of the Vessels ". It is a spiritual theory of how the world once perfect was disrupted, scattered, scintillated into chaos and how we are destined in some way to restore this balance, this perfection within ourselves, within the world. We all have experiences of "the road not taken" of feeling scattered from our origins, from who we really are and who we can become. I feel spring is truly around the corner, May this be a spring of restoration,exploration and restitution. I have written in a previous post about Eros, perhaps Eros is felt and emerges as we venture out in our explorations and experience that which we do not yet know exists within us....What could and would we be, if allowed ouseves to be.....     The Road not Taken by Robert Frost; Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Desiderata