Monday, February 22, 2010

The Injured Fawn

Fawn limping in snowy pasture today
It was snowing on the way to work today,all was quiet,serene,white.I stopped briefly to find my fair fawn friends. I found  recent wet  fresh tracks of the deer, some droppings as well. They had scurried off already, but one young tender one was left behind.He/she stood in the distance with a sad pleading look in its eyes. It was wobbling, unsteady, unable to leap, prance. It reminded me of me when I broke my pinky toe a few months ago(yes, embarrassingly a yoga injury, clipping my toe on a jump through). I know not how this young fawn was injured, but it definitely had lost the spring in its gait. I photographed from a distance as it wobbled into a denser patch of  forest. When a deer is injured, the herd does not wait. The herd continues to move on , interested in the survival and protection of the fit that move along with it .In my heart ,I know this young fawn ,  unseasoned yet  in self preservation  and now weakened will be at greater risk to predation. There realistically was nothing I could do as I am not a vet,nor am I am a wizardess of the forest well versed in the art of healing animals, so I walked on  in contemplation , with reservation.It made me think of the times ,I can do something that can meaningfully help change another's life for the better. It made me think of times, I may have walked away, when it was in my power to be of good use to another. In general, I think am effortful and vigilant in regards to trying to be helpful,but there are time it is incovenient, burdensome or even annoying,and I am reflecting today, on what I do , when I do not feel like stretching myself  for whatever reason. We are human and animal  as well and sometimes leave the weaker behind ,just like a herd of deer. But today, I see those pained,alone eyes of this injured young fawn walking away .... dear reader what would you have done?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Desiderata