Thursday, February 18, 2010

The fawn and those who draw water from the spring

Yes,my deer friends were there again today grazing on a melting snow patch in the bright forest day light..The sun reflecting on the snow was almost blinding.The deer seemed frisky today,approaching closer to me ,then skipping away.They were rambunctious with each other playful and provocative.They seemed hungry,hoping I had some food for them .There were some other people around today.They seemed less curious about the deer as they were pumping spring water into huge containers to lug home.I asked them why do you think the deer always come here.A woman with an eastern European accent told me ,it is because the children feed them carrots and celery,they are hungry in the winter.A herd of human beings regularly congregate around this water pump in the forest preserve.They usually have many vats of water sweet fresh pumped from the spring under the pasture covered with snow,They come from different countries,but they all seem to share something in common that it seems we have lost in this urban techno world.Their pace is a little slower,they talk to each other about amazing topics like the taste of water.They are comfortable with the deer grazing next to them as a usual occurrence.They know how to collect wild mushrooms when spring arrives.They tell me what time of day the deer will be back.They seem to naturally know when the sun sets and rises as if they share this secret with the deer.
I feel like the outsider,the uneducated in the nuances of the natural world.I find I want to know not only the fawn grazing,but those who take time to draw and drink these waters.Perhaps they can teach me that which they take for granted and I must relearn.

1 comment:

  1. This is perhaps one of the sweetest and subtle pieces of writing I have read of your blog. I want to hear more of these people who know the ways of the woods--such precious secrets they have to share

    ReplyDelete

Desiderata