Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Freezing of Motion in Time and Space






This week's assignment is to photograph something at a fast shutter speed, to quickly freeze,capture the image as the curtains open and lets light in briefly,freezing the image and to photograph something at a slow shutter speed as the curtain stays open longer as the image moves through time and space, so it appears more blurred, not frozen.I have been thinking about motion and movement this week., that is what it feels like to move and about  the perception of seeing people, animals, objects move in space. It has slowed my pace down some as I am noticing the slightest of movements and am pondering on stationary matter, imagining what the first beginnings of a movement would look like. I am trying to remember what it feels like to begin to crawl, to walk,what is was like the first time I discovered the ectasy of jumping,skipping,dancing... These memories seem impossible almost to recover,it is akin to remembering the first time I felt  wind blowing on my face and understood what wind was.I guess that is in part what draws me to yoga, it makes me remember the things that are buried in our bodies, our minds.This draws me to photography as well as the way I see and capture an image uncovers, recovers  something I may have thought I lost and at the same time exposes me and teaches me of new uncharted possibilities. In my seeking some luminescent insights on movement, I findI am not alone.Etienne Jules Marey in Paris,(1876-1904)was a physician and physiologist.He was fascinated by movement of humans and animals.He was interested in capturing images as they moved through time and space. He devised his own equipment to study such movement. Here are some examples of his artistry and a photo of mine from this week of a girl slipping through water as she swims.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Desiderata