Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Pranayama and Photography


Does  pranayama,the discipline, art practice of moving breath in yoga share anything in common. I think I am beginning to think they do.I am a humble newbie at both and realize I know not very much of both, despite the fact that I am breathing and seeing all the time, for all of my life,.  In pranayama, I am learning there are techniques in breathing that give you more control over directing  energy and breath within one self, one's  mind, one's feelings, one's sense of being.The techniques are subtle and elegant and require a lifetime of practicing, but I am beginning to understand the myriad of infinite possibilities that become available if one remains with dedication to practicing.,The discipline requires control over something we think of as unconsciously controlled that happens naturally without any effort.So how do we learn  to be more masterful,thoughtful  skillful with that which requires no effort, no thought-it is paradoxical, almost magical  at best.
    This last assignment in my photo class was to shoot everything on 1/60 of a second shutter speed, and all other settings were per our personal discretions. What we chose to capture through the lens,  our preference.I had a short window of time available to me  to go out and photograph on a day that was unusually sunny and bright. I prefer to photograph when the light is softer, incandescent, ethereal. I was near a lovely local botanic garden that was carpeted with shimmering reflective snow, which made it difficult for me to shoot in such bright light.. I did not want to add changing too many variables on my camera,so I left the ASA at 400 which was  too sensitive for such a bright day, letting even more sunrays in. I decided to work with what I had and not create too many variables., as I was short on time, This exercise became a  potent learning opportunity. I was aware that as the sun's rays brilliantly reflected off the snow, I could control  to some extent certain variables of how much, how fast and with what sensitivity light traveled  through the camera lens, based on what settings  I chose on the camera.This  effected  what and how  I would  eventually see an image. It may seem trivial, banal, but it was almost  as though I had a revelatory moment,maybe even a spiritual moment, that something as huge,vast,ageless, uncapturable as sunlight had some qualities that could be contained, manipulated  for a brief moment in time The photo you see above is the Japanese Garden reflecting the shimmery sparkles of sun reflecting off the snow  as I stood in reverance , astonished at the sun's enormous reflective nature...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Desiderata