Monday, January 11, 2010

Manual Settings-State of Being





   above, first photo of class....  I have started taking a digital slr photography class at a local school. I have thought about doing this for many years now. I had lofty lofts that somehow I would have time and  the possibility of enrolling at the International Center for photography in NYC, but making good use of the realities, possibilities that are in one's current sphere of vision is good practice. It is kind of like a pose in the ashtanga yoga series , as the series dictates what poses are in the the series. You do not have a choice in the choosing of the pose, but there it is for you to explore and everything and all in that moment  is your exploration, your creation, your quandaries, your vision, your breath, your solutions, compromises , growth and dedication. So in the context of a minimal steady structure, infinite exploration takes place.
  I have some novice experience with photography as I have taken   courses many years ago and even when my camera is not swinging on my hip side,I see the world as if through the view finder, pausing to reflect at the mesmerizing compositions of this world.The instructor said we are to only photograph on manual which of course is the only way to photograph really. But, as I am only new to the dslr world, I often let the camera choose some quality of light for me, which then influences or dictates what my other choices are,thus making the experience not my own.. Now , it is all up to me, it is my choice, my responsibility.my venturing forth to express openly how I see the world, how I may communicate how and what and perhaps even why I see something some way or to contemplate why it is of interest me, to pause and ponder why,how I want to remember this moment or any moment. And what  makes a moment worthy of sharing with another, and how to convey my desire to then share that moment in time. So , I am beginning to refine, retune these ponderings. The first assignment is on "Reflections"-portraying some aspect of the winter light and its quality to reflect off of someone, something. I too am asking myself in this project what do I reflect into this world....stay tuned....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Desiderata